ESD flooring is required to protect most types of electronics parts, which are ultra-sensitive to static electricity.
FAQ: Are all carpet lines antistatic?
All ESD carpet tile is antistatic. With ESD tile conductive properties are woven into the yarn strands and the conductive or static-dissipative yarn strands act like tiny brushes, brushing static from shoe soles as people walk. Standard carpet is sprayed with a topical anti-stat that prevents people walking on the floor from feeling a static shock. This topical anti-stat is temporary, the reason you might suddenly feel a shock from a floor that was “static free.” Standard carpet has no conductive properties, cannot be grounded, and cannot come close to preventing static generation at the minute voltages that can damage or destroy electronic equipment.
Learning Center Articles
- 7 Common Mistakes Selecting an ESD floor
- A Guide to ESD Flooring Selection
- Avoid Costly Failures: What You Need to Know When Specifying ESD Flooring
- Choosing ESD Flooring for:
- ESD Footwear: What Is It and When Is It Necessary?
- ESD Footwear for Electronics Manufacturing and Handling Applications
- Facility Managers' Guide to Selecting ESD Flooring
- The Need for Due Diligence in Specifying Static-Free Flooring
- Standard of Care for Specifying Floors in Mission-Critical Spaces
- Understanding the Hidden Costs of ESD Flooring