ESD flooring is required to protect most types of electronics parts, which are ultra-sensitive to static electricity.
FAQ: Are there any scientific studies about the performance of antistatic or conductive flooring for mission-critical environments or data centers?
In a mission-critical environment, random static discharge can cause lost or corrupted data, dropped calls, pc lockup, and blown headsets. Designers of 24/7/365 mission-critical spaces such as data centers, 911 call centers, command centers, server rooms, and flight-control towers routinely design their spaces to withstand external threats such as weather, power outages, earthquakes, and even biological threats.
Electrostatic discharge (ESD)—an invisible, sometimes overlooked threat—can wreak havoc inside any mission-critical space. Numerous studies have been done to determine the effectiveness of special static-control flooring on static-discharge mitigation. Consensus is that flooring is necessary and it must perform two independent static control functions:
- The floor must provide a verifiable path to ground.
- The floor must inhibit or prevent the generation of static on people wearing all types of footwear—regular street shoes as well as static-control footwear.
Learning Center Articles
- 7 Common Mistakes Selecting an ESD floor
- A Guide to ESD Flooring Selection
- Avoid Costly Failures: What You Need to Know When Specifying ESD Flooring
- Choosing ESD Flooring for:
- ESD Footwear: What Is It and When Is It Necessary?
- ESD Footwear for Electronics Manufacturing and Handling Applications
- Facility Managers' Guide to Selecting ESD Flooring
- The Need for Due Diligence in Specifying Static-Free Flooring
- Standard of Care for Specifying Floors in Mission-Critical Spaces
- Understanding the Hidden Costs of ESD Flooring
StaticWorx high-performance static-control floors protect electronic components, explosives, and high-speed computers from damage caused by static electricity. ESD flooring is part of a system. Choices should always be based on objective, researched evidence. When you partner with us, we look at all possible items that may need to integrate with the floor, and, focusing on your goals and objectives, help you find the right floor for your application.