ESD flooring is required to protect most types of electronics parts, which are ultra-sensitive to static electricity.
FAQ: Do conductive and static-dissipative tiles need to contact one another in order to be grounded?
Static-control floor tiles draw static from the top of the tile through its thickness to the bottom of the tile—not side to side. If two tiles were placed tightly against each other and we measured electrical continuity from the top of one tile to the top of the other, we would likely measure a very high resistance. A high resistance indicates no electrical continuity between static-control tiles. The conductive adhesive or underlayment solves this problem.
A conductive adhesive or underlayment, acting as an electrical conduit, forms a conductive ground plane below all contiguously installed tiles. Without this conductive ground plane, each tile would be nothing more than a small ungrounded island. The conductive ground plane unites the tiles electrically, creating one single grounded static-control surface.Proper installation with the right adhesive or underlayment enables easy grounding of an entire installation with only a few ground connections. A rule of thumb is one ground connection per one thousand feet of ESD flooring.
Learning Center Articles
- 7 Common Mistakes Selecting an ESD floor
- A Guide to ESD Flooring Selection
- Avoid Costly Failures: What You Need to Know When Specifying ESD Flooring
- Choosing ESD Flooring for:
- ESD Footwear: What Is It and When Is It Necessary?
- ESD Footwear for Electronics Manufacturing and Handling Applications
- Facility Managers' Guide to Selecting ESD Flooring
- The Need for Due Diligence in Specifying Static-Free Flooring
- Standard of Care for Specifying Floors in Mission-Critical Spaces
- Understanding the Hidden Costs of ESD Flooring
StaticWorx high-performance static-control floors protect electronic components, explosives, and high-speed computers from damage caused by static electricity. ESD flooring is part of a system. Choices should always be based on objective, researched evidence. When you partner with us, we look at all possible items that may need to integrate with the floor, and, focusing on your goals and objectives, help you find the right floor for your application.